Saturday, January 21, 2006

Addendum to How to Get a Standing Ovation

Addendum to How to Get a Standing Ovation: " My, my...this topic sure generated a lot of comments. I'll respond to them here: Dress code in Hawaii. A great aloha shirt is the way to go. Have I got the solution for you. The world's best aloha shirts come from Anne Namba. I often wear them in my speeches because it's powerful to know that you are wearing the most expensive shirt in the room. Here is a horribly out of focus (don't blame me, I didn't take the picture) picture of me in an Anne Namba alongside Rick Smolan and Russell Brown. Dress code of Steve Jobs; Steve denigrating the competition. Steve is Steve. There is only one Steve Jobs. Very few rules apply to him. Certainly not the rules of a mere mortal like me. Toastmasters. Can't say I know much about them, but I hear nothing but good things. My father was a member in Hawaii, and he was a great speaker. Conversational tone of voice. Absolutely. This tone is a natural outcome of telling stories. I'm an evangelist, and I hate the preachy tone. I despise the, “I've come down from the mountain to inform you ignoramuses” tone too. Keep it simple. No simple answer here. I believe I can cover ten topics in a speech. :-) Certainly you shouldn't ramble, but remember: be entertaining! Better to be too short than too long. Generally, true, but if you're too short, you can ins"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home